I haven’t quite figured out what caused the problem, but after having used my MOSS development environment for several project i recently got tons of errors and misbehaving.
I had some Office 2003 components installed shortly, but uninstalled them again. Never the less i suspect this to have caused the problem.
The problems was:
- Dataview errors like not being able to select multiple rows and columns
- Search Settings error where indexing status kept saying “retrieving…” no matter how long i waited.
Anyway – at the beginning I tried to ignore it, but pretty soon I had to make some changes to the search and was therefore forced to figure out what the problems was.
First of all I installing MOSS SP2 – thinking that if it had been a bug it might be fixed by the Service Pack. No such luck!
I did some extensive Google searching and quickly found out that a lot of moss users had these issues.
This blog by Kerry explains how simply it is:
You need to run the Office Diagnostics Tool found here:
Start > All programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office Diagnostics
Start Word > Click office icon (to left corner) > Word Settings > Ressources > Diagnose > Follow the wizard
The Diagnostics wizard checks 5 areas:
- Check for known solutions
- Memory diagnostic
- Compatibility diagnostic
- Disc Diagnostic
- Setup Diagnostic
First 4 areas took only a few seconds, but Setup diagnostic took ages and I had to locate a lot of MSI packages for MOSS, WSS and Search in both English and for any additionally language packs you might have (in my case Danish)
When tho wizard is done I closed Word, closed IE and restarted the machine, and all my problems where gone. No script error, dataview works fine again and search settings show how many items i have.
Tears of joy!